Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Patience

"GGGRRRRRR!!!!!!" that was what I heard after telling Little man 3 times that no he could not have a sucker before dinner. "I'll hit you. I swear I will. You make me so mad! I don't love you anymore!" I hate hearing that for 2 reasons. 1. I know he will try to hit me. 2. I feel like giving in and know that I shouldn't.

After having such a great day with him on Monday, I was expecting to come home to a peaceful night. I don't know why, living with ADHD is more like a rollar coaster ride than a peaceful walk in the park. Luckily, he stormed off into the living room and saulked this time. A step in the right direction? Or collecting strength. But just like that he came back out to me in tears, "I'm sorry, mom. I take back the last part. I love you." Astonished, I just stared at him. What? So then he says "Didn't you hear me? I said I love you!" I told him I loved him too and everything I do is because I love him. "So can I have that candy now?" Ha, there it is. I'll tell mommy something she wants to hear to get my way. No, I said, not before dinner. And the cycle started over again.

I think the part that scares and worries me the most is the temper. For a 6 year old, he looks and gets evil. He knows what he is doing is wrong, but can't seem to help it. Will he be this way forever or will he learn to control this part of him. I have had to teach myself (which I don't always do) to be calm and patient. Very hard for me and daddy some days. Patience is the top part of the list when it comes to ADHD. I was always a patient person before I had children. Now, I have to refind that patience and refine it.

2 comments:

  1. Praying for you, Troy and especially Chase that all of you are able to work through this. It is hard to hear such "hateful" things but remember he doesn't really mean it. It is just a moment of thoughtless words that he doesn't always know he is saying. God bless and help you all during times of trouble.

    Matt, Becky and the kids

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Kaspers! You guys are such an awesome family and a blessing to us. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete