Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Sleep

Last night was a success. Against how I was brought up, but with the input from other people dealing with ADHD we tried something new. Let me start by saying that Little Man has been sleeping downstairs, on the couch for about a year and a half now. The upstairs was "spooky". We finnaly found a way to help him.

My parents always said that TV in a childs bedroom can be a bad thing. We never had them when we were little. My husband, on the other hand, did. We have tried fans in Little Man's room, leaving lights on, music and a ton of other things. Nothing would work. He would still end up on the couch at some point-usually right after putting him down for the night. I have asked a ton of people for ideas with this. Finally, I have relied on the anser that most ADHD suffers gave me. The TV stays in the room.

Last night, we gave little man his pill for sleeping (which may have also helped), did his bedtime routine, and set him up with cartoons. I told him that once the episode was over, he needed to roll over and go to sleep. I didn't say he needed to turn it off, just that he needed to go to sleep. He told me that was fine. We recently set up a bunk bed in his room and let him rearrange the way he wanted that room. I turned to fan on, which was just for air circulation (it's hot up there), turned off the light....wait..turned off the light? No crying? Ok this is good. We went to check on him about 15 minutes later, and we was OUT! ASLEEP!!! In the dark, with the TV on, in HIS bedroom, in HIS bed! OK. So we crept back downstairs and wondered what the night would hold. In fact we said to eachother "This out to be interesting." It hasn't been this easy since he was in his crib. He used to sleep all night from the day he was born! When the alarm went off this morning for me to get up, hubby and I looked at eachother in disbelief. I went up just to make sure he was breathing! He was still asleep. In fact, he didn't come down until just before I left for work! THANK GOODNESS!

Hopefully we have found the way to keep him in his room at night....so daddy and I can get back to what daddys and mommys do! LOL

No comments:

Post a Comment